Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Austin, Texas, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-92-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
The poster/demonstration will feature examples of hands-on activities that incorporate digital fabrication and project-based learning principles. Physical models, lessons, and collected research will be shared in order to receive feedback from SITE community members. Examples will predominately feature transmedia books, a new type of physical book that combines multiple media forms so that students not only interact with text but also physically and digitally manipulate embedded content (Cohen, Smolkin, & Bull, 2011).
Kjellstrom, W., Tillman, D., Cohen, J. & Ducamp, G. (2012). Exploring Project-Based Learning and Digital Fabrication Through Transmedia Books. In P. Resta (Ed.), Proceedings of SITE 2012--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 1041-1045). Austin, Texas, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 19, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/39713/.
- Aud, S., Hussar, W., Kena, G., Bianco, K., Frohlich, L., Kemp, J., & Tahan, K. (2011). The condition of education 2011. No. NCES 2011-033). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics.
- Barron, B.J.S., Schwartz, D.L., Vye, N.J., Moore, A., Petrosino, A., Zech, L., & Bransford, J.D. (1998).
- Blumenfeld, P.C., Soloway, E., Marx, R.W., Krajcik, J.S., Guzdial, M., & Palincsar, A. (1991).
- Bull, G., & Garofalo, J. (2009). Personal fabrication systems: From bits to atoms. Leading and Learning with Technology, 36(7), 10-12.
- Bull, G., & Groves, J. (2009). The democratization of production. Leading and Learning with Technology, 37(3), 36-37.
- Bull, G., Knezek, G., & Gibson, D. (2009). Editorial: A rationale for incorporating engineering education
- Cohen, J.D., Smolkin, L., & Bull, G. (2011). Editorial: Transmedia publishing. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 11(3). Educate to innovate. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/education/educate-innovate
- Gonzales, P., Williams, T., Jocelyn, L., Roey, S., Kastberg, D., & Brenwald, S. (2008). Highlights from
- PCAST. (2010). Prepare and inspire: K-12 education in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) for america's future.
- Piaget, J. (1964). Part I: Cognitive development in children: Piaget development and learning. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 2(3), 176-186.
- Porter, A. (1989). A curriculum out of balance: The case of elementary school mathematics. Educational Researcher, 18(5), 9.
- Stigler, J.W., & Hiebert, J. (1999). The teaching gap: Best ideas from the world's teachers for improving education in the classroom. New York, NY: The Free Press.
- Thomas, J.W. (2000). A review of research on project-based learning. San Rafael, CA: Autodesk Foundation.
- Wilson, M. (2002). Six views of embodied cognition. Psychonomic Bulletin& Review, 9(4), 625-636.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.