E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Quebec City, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-63-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
This paper describes the process and the results of a study intended to evaluate the effectiveness of podcasting technology for teaching and learning. A sample group of 192 students enrolled in an online course, with access to audio playbacks (podcasts) of the same course given in a classroom environment, completed an online questionnaire. An ANOVA was done to compare the group of students who listened to the online recordings with those who did not. The results of the study indicate that the students who listened to podcasts demonstrated deeper learning and greater satisfaction than those who did not.
Lakhal, S., Khechine, H. & Pascot, D. (2007). Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Podcasting in Teaching and Learning. In T. Bastiaens & S. Carliner (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2007--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 6181-6188). Quebec City, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/26770/.
© 2007 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Adler R.W., Milne M.J., Stablein R. (2001), “ Situated Motivation: An Empirical Test in an Accounting Course, ” Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, Vol. 18, no.2, pp. 101-115.
- Alavi M., Wheeler B.C., Valacich J.S. (1995), “ Using IT to Reengineer Business Education: An Exploratory Investigation of Collaborative Telelearning, ” MIS Quarterly, Vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 293-312.
- Alavi M., Marakas G.M., Yoo Y. (2002), “ A Comparative Study of Distributed Learning Environments on Learning Outcomes, ” Information Systems Research, Vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 404-415.
- Barkley A.P. (2000), “ Unanticipated Benefits from the Use of Computer Technology in a Large Introductory Course. ” In D.G. Brown (Ed.), Interactive Learning: Vignettes from America ’ s Most Wired Campus, Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing Company Inc., pp. 147-149.
- Benbunan-Fich R., Arbaugh J.B. (2006), “ Separating the Effects of Knowledge Construction and Group Collaboration in Learning Outcomes of Web-Based Courses, ” Information& Management, Vol. 43, pp. 778-793.
- Bilodeau H. (1995), Enseignement à Témiscamingue. Distance à
- Brien R. (1997), Sciences cognitives et formation, Presses de l’ Université du Québec, 3rd edition.
- Brock R. (2007), “ How to Podcast Campus Lectures, ” Chronicle of Higher Education, Vol. 53, no. 21, pp. A32-A35.
- Campbell G. (2005), “ There ’ s Something in the Air: Podcasting in Education, ” Educause Review, Vol. 40, no. 6., pp. 32-47.
- Eash E.K. (2006), “ Podcasting 101 for K-12 librarians”, Computers in Libraries, pp. 16-20.
- Fichter D. (2006), “ Creating Engaging Audio Content: Intranet Podcasting, ” Online, Intranet Librarian, P. 46-48.
- Fillion G. (2005), L’ intégration des TIC dans la formation universitaire: Une étude des résultats éducationnels des étudiants dans les contextes de présence et de non présence en classe, Doctoral dissertation, Université Laval, Quebec City.
- Fillion G., Limayem M., Bouchard L. (2005), Videoconferencing in Distance Education: A Study of Student Perceptions in the Lecture Context, working document, Université Laval, Quebec City.
- Flowers C.P., Hancock D.R., Joyner R.E. (2000), “ Effects of Instructional Strategies and Conceptual Levels on Students’ Motivation and Achievement in a Technology Course, ” Journal of Research and Development in Education, Vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 187-194.
- Fraser B.J., Nash R., Fisher D.L. (1983), “ Anxiety in Science Classrooms: Its Measurement and Relationship to Classroom Environment, ” Research in Science and Technological Education, Vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 201-208.
- Gump S. (2004), “ Keep Students Coming by Keeping Them Interested: Motivators for Class Attendance, ” Computers& Education, Vol. 44, pp. 409-421.
- Harasim L.M., Hiltz S.R., Teles L., Turoff, M. (1995), Learning Networks: A Field Guide to Teaching and Learning Online, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Hiltz S.R., Turoff M. (1994), “ Virtual Classroom Plus Video: Technology for Educational Excellence, ” Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 94 World Conference on Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, Vancouver, Canada.
- Hiltz S.R., Wellman B. (1997), “ Asynchronous Learning Networks as a Virtual Classroom, ” Communications of the ACM, Vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 44-49.
- Hobbs V.M., Osburn D.D. (1989), Distance Learning Evaluation Study Report II: An Inter-and Intra-State Comparison. A Study of North Dakota and Missouri Schools Implementing German I by Satellite, ERIC document #317195, 1989.
- Janossy J. (2007), “ Student Reaction to Podcast Learning Material: Preliminary results, ” 12th Annual Instructional Technology Conference: Engaging the Learner, Tennessee, pp. 98-120.
- Jegede O.J., Kirkwood J. (1992), Students’ Anxiety in Learning through Distance Education, Research report. ERIC document #360476. Lane C. (2006), “ UW Podcasting: Evaluation of Year One, ” Catalyst, http://catalyst.washington.edu/research_development/papers/2006/podcasting_year1.pdf, Last visited: June 27, 2007.
- Lee M.J.W., Chan A. (2007), “ Reducing the Effects of Isolation and Promoting Inclusivity for Distance Learners through Podcasting, ” Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, Vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 85-104.
- Leidner D.E., Jarvenpaa S.L. (1993), “ The Information Age Confronts Education: Case Studies on Electronic Classrooms, ” Information Systems Research, Vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 24-54.
- Nunnally J.C., Durham R.L. (1975), “ Validity, Reliability and Special Problems of Measurement in Evaluative Research. ” In E.L. Struening and M. Guttentag (Eds.) Handbook of Evaluation Research, Sage Beverly Hills.
- Piccoli G., Ahmad R., Ives B. (2001), “ Web-Based Virtual Learning Environments: A Research Framework and a Preliminary Assessment of Effectiveness in Basic IT Skills Training, ” MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 401-426.
- Riel M. (1993), The SCANS Report and the AT& T Learning Network, Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association, Chicago.
- Urban-Lurain M., Weinshank D. (2000), “ Computing Concepts and Competencies. ” In D.G. Brown (ed.), Interactive Learning: Vignette from America ’ s Most Wired Campus, Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing Company Inc., pp. 73-74.
- Webster J., Hackley P. (1997), “ Teaching Effectiveness in Technology-Mediated Distance Learning, ” Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1282-1309.
- Wyatt W. (2006), “ Producing a Punchy Podcast: Podcasting Can Be a Creative, Convenient Way to Get Your Message Out, ” State Legislatures, pp. 22-23.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
Natalie Milman & Bryce Walker, George Washington University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (Mar 29, 2010) pp. 3313–3318
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.