Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in San Antonio, Texas, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-61-7 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This paper explores student-teachers' use of social networks, specifically Bebo and MySpace. It investigates whether student-teachers' use, or level of use, of these applications is related to their views of the potential of technology for teaching and learning. Their perceptions of a technology-enriched classroom are also considered. Data were collected by means of a questionnaire. They indicate that students' perceptions of how technology enhances learning, or of a technology-enriched classroom, are not related to their use, or non-use, of social networks.
FitzGibbon, A., Oldham, E. & Johnston, K. (2007). An Investigation of Student-Teachers’ Use of Social Networks and their Perceptions of Using Technology for Teaching and Learning. In R. Carlsen, K. McFerrin, J. Price, R. Weber & D. Willis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2007--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 788-795). San Antonio, Texas, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 23, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/24646/.
- Boran, M. (2006). Let’s Talk. Available at: www.techcentral.ie/consumer_tech/Soceial_Networking_Sites[accessed:October22nd2006].Boyd,S.(2005).AreyoureadyforSocialSoftware?www.stoweboyd.com/message/2006/10/are_you_ready_f.html [accessed: January 28th 2007].
- Department of Education and Science (1997). Schools IT2000. Dublin: Stationery Office. Dugan, R. (2006).
- FitzGibbon, A., Johnston, K., Oldham, E., & Loxley, A. (2004). Experiences and expectations of preservice teachers in the Republic of Ireland with regard to information and communications technologies in education. In R. Ferdig, C. Crawford, R. Carlsen, N. Davis, J. Price, R. Weber& D.A. Willis (Eds.), Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, March 2004 (pp. 2158-2165). Charlottesville, VA.: Association
- Gross, R., & Acquisti, A. (2005). Information Revelation and Privacy in Online Social Networks. WPES’05, November 7, Alexandria, Virginia. Irish Times (2006). Media
- Johnston, K., FitzGibbon, A., Oldham, E. & Seery, A. (2006). Have Irish teachers crossed the digital divide? In C. Crawford, R. Carlsen, K. McFerrin, J. Price, R. Weber& D.A. Willis (Eds.), Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference, Orlando, Florida, March 2006 (pp. 1651-1658). Charlottesville, VA.:
- Oliver, E. (2006). Bebo plans to ride cyber chat wave by appointing agency to attract advertisers. Irish Times, August 17th. Available at: www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2006/0817/pf1155714766961.html [accessed: October 20th 2006].
- Owen, M., Grant, L., Sayers, S., & Facer, K. (2006). Social software and learning. Futurelab. Available at: http://www.futurelab.org.uk/download/pdfs/research/opening_education/Social_Software_report.pdf [accessed: January
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ann FitzGibbon, Carina Girvan, Elizabeth Oldham & Hilary Mc Loughlin, Trinity College, University of Dublin, Ireland
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (Mar 29, 2010) pp. 2460–2465
Sue Bedard, Full Sail University, United States
EdMedia + Innovate Learning 2009 (Jun 22, 2009) pp. 1653–1657
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact email@example.com.