Studying the Effectiveness of an Online Language Learning Platform in China
Ryan Baker, University of Pennsylvania, United States ; Feng Wang, Zhenjun Ma, Learnta Inc., China ; Wei Ma, Institute of Statistics and Big Data, Renmin University of China, China ; Shiyue Zheng, Teachers College Columbia University, United States
Journal of Interactive Learning Research Volume 29, Number 1, ISSN 1093-023X Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
In this paper we evaluate the effectiveness of an adaptive online learning platform, designed to support Chinese students in learning the English language. The adaptive platform is studied in three studies, where the experimental platform is compared to an alternate, non-adaptive platform, in three Chinese schools, with random assignment to conditions. The adaptive platform is found to lead to better and faster learning than the non-adaptive platform, as well as more positive responses to survey items.
Baker, R., Wang, F., Ma, Z., Ma, W. & Zheng, S. (2018). Studying the Effectiveness of an Online Language Learning Platform in China. Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 29(1), 5-24. Waynesville, NC: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 26, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/174327/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Abrami, P., Borohkovski, E., & Lysenko, L. (2015). The effects of ABRACADABRA on reading outcomes: A meta-analysis of applied field research. Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 26(4), 337-367.
- Abreu-Ellis, C., Ellis, J.B., Carle, A., Blevens, J., Decker, A., Carvalho, L., & Macedo, P. (2013). Language learning: The merge of Teletandem and Web 2.0 tools. Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 24(4), 353-369.
- Beatty, K. (2013). Teaching& Researching: Computer-Assisted Language Learning. Routledge.
- Chuang, F.Y., & Nesi, H. (2006). An analysis of formal errors in a corpus of L2 English produced by Chinese students. Corpora, 1(2), 251-271.
- Doignon, J.P., & Falmagne, J.C. (2012). Knowledge spaces. Springer Science& Business Media.
- Kasteen, J. (2014). Global trends in foreign language demand and proficiency. In ICEF Monitor. Retrieved from http://studenttravelplanningguide.com/ Global-trends-in-foreign-language-demand-and-proficiency/
- Kroeze, K., Hyatt, K., & Lambert, C. (2015) Brain Gym: Let the user beware. Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 26(4), 395-401.
- Levis, J.M., Sonsaat, S., Link, S., & Barriuso, T.A. (2016). Native and nonnative teachers of L2 pronunciation: Effects on learner performance. TESOL Quarterly. 1-38 (Early View).
- Li, E. (2016). The Study on Higher Vocational English O2O Teaching Experiment from the Perspective of MOOC. Journal of HUBEI Correspondence University, 29, 136-137.
- Lipsey, M.W., Wilson, D.B. (2001). Practical Meta-Analysis. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Macaro, E., Handley, Z., & Walter, C. (2012). A systematic review of CALL in English as a second language: Focus on primary and secondary education. Language Teaching, 45(01), 1-43.
- Marty, F (1981). Reflections on the use of computers in second language acquisition. System, 9(2), 85–98.
- Mitrovic, A., Martin, B., & Mayo, M. (2002). Using evaluation to shape ITS design: Results and experiences with SQL-Tutor. User Modeling and UserAdapted Interaction, 12(2), 243-279.
- Pane, J.F., Griffin, B.A., McCaffrey, D.F., & Karam, R. (2014). Effectiveness of cognitive tutor algebra I at scale. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 36(2), 127-144.
- Roschelle, J., Feng, M., Murphy, R.F., Mason, C.A. (2016) Online Mathematics Homework Increases Student Achievement. AERA Open, 2 (4).
- Rosenthal, R., & Rosnow, R.L. (1991). Essentials of behavioral research: Methods and data analysis. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill Humanities Social.
- Sun, Q., Zhang, J., Dong, Z. (2003) Research into the teaching of professional English: use of computers and internet. Foreign Language World (ηηη)(2), 28-33.
- Tseng, J.C., Chu, H.C., Hwang, G.J., & Tsai, C.C. (2008). Development of an adaptive learning system with two sources of personalization information. Computers& Education, 51(2), 776-786.
- Von Ahn, L. (2013). Duolingo: learn a language for free while helping to translate the web. In Proceedings of the 2013 international conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, 1-2. ACM.
- Wang, S., Liu, J., & Fu, W. (2015). A Study on the Content-based college ESP Instruction under the Background of MOOC Era. China Educational Technology, 2015, 98-120.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.