IJELLO Volume 3, Number 1, ISSN 1552-2237 Publisher: Informing Science Institute
This paper presents the Knowledge Puzzle, an ontology-based platform designed to facilitate domain knowledge acquisition from textual documents for knowledge-based systems. First, the Knowledge Puzzle Platform performs an automatic generation of a domain ontology from documents’ content through natural language processing and machine learning technologies. Second, it employs a new content model, the Knowledge Puzzle Content Model, which aims to model learning material from annotated content. Annotations are performed semi-automatically based on IBM’s Unstructured Information Management Architecture and are stored in an Organizational memory (OM) as knowledge fragments. The organizational memory is used as a knowledge base for a training environment (an Intelligent Tutoring System or an e-Learning environment). The main objective of these annotations is to enable the automatic aggregation of Learning Knowledge Objects (LKOs) guided by instructional strategies, which are provided through SWRL rules. Finally, a methodology is proposed to generate SCORM-compliant learning objects from these LKOs.
Zouaq, A., Nkambou, R. & Frasson, C. (2007). An Integrated Approach for Automatic Aggregation of Learning Knowledge Objects. Interdisciplinary Journal of E-Learning and Learning Objects, 3(1), 135-162. Informing Science Institute. Retrieved March 26, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/44802/.
- Abecker, A., Bernardi, A., & Sintek, M. (1999). Proactive knowledge delivery for enterprise knowledge management. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Learning Software Organizations, Methodology and Applications, pp.103–117,
- AICC (2007). Retrieved March 19, 2007 from http://www.aicc.org/ Aroyo, L., & Dicheva, D. (2004). The new challenges for e-learning: The educational semantic web. Educational Technology& Society, 4(7), 59-69.
- Berners-Lee, T., Hendler, J., & Lassila, O. (2001). The semantic web. Scientific American, 34–43.
- Bloom, B.S. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals: Handbook I, cognitive domain. New York: Longman.
- Bourdeau, J., Mizoguchi, R., Psyché, V., & Nkambou, R. (2004). Selecting theories in an ontology-based ITS authoring environment. Proceedings of Intelligent Tutoring Systems, pp.150-161, Maceio, Brazil.
- Buffa, M., Dehors, S., Faron-Zucker, C., & Sander, P. (2005). Towards a corporate semantic web approach in designing learning systems: Review of the trial solution project. Proceedings of International Workshop on Applications of Semantic Web Technologies for E-Learning, AIED, pp. 73-76, Amsterdam,
- Buitelaar, P., Olejnik, D., & Sintek, M. (2004). A protégé plug-in for ontology extraction from text based on linguistic analysis. Proceedings of the 1st European Semantic Web Symposium, pp.31-44, Heraklion,
- Charniak, E. (2000). A maximum-entropy-inspired parser. Proceedings of the First Conference on North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, pp. 132-139, Seattle, Washington.
- Collins, M. (1999). Head-driven statistical models for natural language parsing. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Pennsylvania.
- Dehors, S., Faron-Zucker, C., Giboin, A., & Stromboni, J.-P. (2005). Semi-automated semantic annotation of learning resources by identifying layout features. Proceedings of AIED'2005 International Workshop on Applications of Semantic Web Technologies for E-Learning, Amsterdam, Holland.
- De Marneffe, M-C., MacCartney, B. & Manning, C.D. (2006). Generating typed dependency parses from phrase structure parses. Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, Genoa.
- De Hoog, R., Kabel, S., Barnard, Y., Boy, G., DeLuca, P., Desmoulins, C., Riemersma, J., & Verstegen, D. (2002). Re-using technical manuals for instruction: creating instructional material with the tools of the IMAT project. Proceedings of ITS’2002 Workshop on Integrating Technical And Training Documentation, pp. 28-39, San Sebástian, Spain.
- Devedzic, V. (2004). Education and the semantic web. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 14, 39-65. IOS Press.
- Faure, D. & Nedellec, C. (1999). Knowledge acquisition of predicate argument structures from technical texts using machine learning: The system ASIUM. Proceedings of the 11th European Workshop on Knowledge Acquisition, Modeling and Management, pp. 329-334, Dagstuhl Castle, Germany.
- Fournier-Viger P., Najjar, M., Mayers, A. & Nkambou, R. (2006). A cognitive and logic based model for building glass-box learning objects. Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning Objects, 2: 77-94. Available at http://ijklo.org/Volume2/v2p077-094Fournier-Viger.pdf Frank, E., Paynter, G.W., Witten, I..H., Gutwin, C., & Nevill-Manning, C.G. (1999). Domain-specific key phrase extraction. Proceedings of the 16th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 668-673, San Francisco, USA.
- Gagné, R.M., Briggs, L.J., & Wagner, W.W. (1992). Principles of instructional design (4th ed.). Fort Worth: HBJ College Publishers.
- Gamallo, P., Gonzalez, M., Agustini, A., Lopes, G., & De Lima, V.S. (2002). Mapping syntactic dependencies onto semantic relations. Proceedings of the ECAI Workshop on Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing for Ontology Engineering, pp. 15-22, Lyon, France.
- Gandon, F. (2002). A multi-agent architecture for distributed corporate memories. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium, From Agent Theory to Agent Implementation, at the 16th European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research,, pp. 623-628, Vienna, Austria.
- Gasevic, D., Jovanović, J., & Devedzic, V. (2004). Ontologies for creating learning object content. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information& Engineering Systems, pp. 284-291, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Handschuh, S., & Staab, S. (2003). CREAM-Creating metadata for the semantic web. Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, 42(5), 579-598.
- Hwang, C.H. (1999). Incompletely and imprecisely speaking: Using dynamic ontologies for representing and retrieving information. Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Knowledge Representation meets Databases, pp. 14-20, Linkoeping, Sweden.
- IMS (2007). Retrieved March 19, 2007 from http://www.imsglobal.org/competencies/index.html
- Jovanović, J., Gasevic, D., & Devedzic, V. (2006). Ontology-based automatic annotation of learning content. International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems, 2(2), 91-119.
- Kahan, J., Koivunen, M., Prud’Hommeaux, E. & Swick, R. (2001). Annotea: An open RDF infrastructure for shared web annotations. Proceedings of the WWW10 International Conference, pp. 623-632, Hong
- Klein, D. & Manning, C.D. (2003). Accurate unlexicalized parsing. Proceedings of the 41st Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, pp. 423 – 430, Sapporo, Japan.
- Knublauch, H., Fergerson, R.W., Fridman Noy, N., & Musen, M.A. (2004). The Protégé OWL plugin: An open development environment for semantic web applications. Proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference, pp.229-243, Hiroshima, Japan.
- Koohang, A. (2004). Creating learning objects in collaborative e-learning settings. Issues in Information Systems, 4(2), 584-590.
- Lytras, M.D. & Sicilia, M-A. (2005). Modeling the organizational aspects of learning objects in semantic web approaches to information systems. Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning Objects, 1, 255-267. Available at http://ijklo.org/Volume1/v1p255-267Lytras_Sicilia.pdf Maedche, A., & Staab, S. (2000). Semi-automatic engineering of ontologies from text. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Chicago, USA.
- Maedche, A. & Staab, S. (2004). Ontology learning. In S. Staab, & R. Studer (Eds), Handbook on ontologies, pp. 173-190. Springer.
- Malaxa, V & Douglas, I (2005). A framework for metadata creation tools. Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning Objects, 1, 151-162. Available at http://ijklo.org/Volume1/v1p151162Malaxa28.pdf
- Marshall, C. (1998). Toward an ecology of hypertext annotation. Proceedings of the Ninth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, pp. 40-49, Pittsburgh, USA.
- Nash, S. (2005). Learning objects, learning object repositories, and learning theory: Preliminary best practices for online courses. Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning Objects, 1, 217-228.
- Nkambou, R., Frasson, C., & Gauthier, G. (2003). CREAM-Tools: An authoring environment for knowledge engineering in intelligent tutoring systems. In T. Murray, S. Blessing, and S. Ainsworth, (Eds.), Authoring tools for advanced technology learning environments: Toward cost-effective, adaptative, interactive, and intelligent educational software, pp. 93-138. Kluwer Publishers.
- Park, Y. (2004). GlossOnt: A concept-focused ontology building tool. Proceedings of KR 2004, pp. 498506, Whistler, Canada.
- Popov, B., Kirayakov, A., Ognyanoff, D., Manov, D., & Kirilov, A. (2004). KIM-A semantic platform for information extraction and retrieval. Natural Language Engineering, 10 (3-4), 375-392.
- Popov, B., Kirayakov, A., Ognyanoff, D., Manov, D., Kirilov, A., & Goranov, M. (2003). Towards semantic web information extraction. Proceedings of the Human Language Technologies Workshop. At 2nd International Se-mantic Web Conference (ISWC2003), pp. Pp. 1-22, Florida, USA.
- Protégé Ontology Editor (2007). Retrieved March 19, 2007 from http://protege.stanford.edu/ SCORM (2007). Retrieved March 19, 2007 from http://www.adlnet.gov/scorm/index.cfm
- Schmidt, A. (2005). Bridging the gap between e-learning and knowledge management with context-aware corporate learning (extended version). Professional Knowledge Management (WM 2005) Post Proceedings, pp. 203-213, Kaiserlautern, Germany.
- Schutz, A. & Buitelaar, P. (2005). RelExt: A tool for relation extraction in ontology extension. Proceedings of the 4th International Semantic Web Conference, pp. 593-606, Galway, Ireland.
- Sicilia, M.A. (2005). Ontology-based competency management: Infrastructures for the knowledge intensive learning organization. In M.D. Lytras& A. Naeve (Eds.), Intelligent learning infrastructures in knowledge intensive organizations: A semantic web perspective, pp. 302-324. Hershey, PA: Idea
- UIMA (2007). Retrieved March 19, 2007 from http://uima-framework.sourceforge.net/ Ullrich, C. (2004). Description of an instructional ontology and its application in web services for education. Proceedings of Workshop on Applications of Semantic Web Technologies for E-learning, pp. 1723,
- Vargas-Vera, M., Motta, E., Domingue, J., Lanzoni, M., Stutt, A., & Ciravegna, F. (2002). MnM: Ontology driven semi-automatic and automatic support for semantic markup.Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Management (EKAW 2002), pp. 379-391, Spain.
- Verbert, K. & Duval, E. (2004). Towards a global architecture for learning objects: A comparative analysis of learning object content models. Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications, pp. 202-208, Chesapeake, VA.
- Verbert, K., Klerkx, J., Meire, M., Najjar, J., & Duval, E. (2004). Towards a global component architecture for learning objects: An ontology based approach. Proceedings of the OTM 2004 Workshop on Ontologies, Semantics and E-learning,, pp. 713-722, Agia Napa, Cyprus.
- Zouaq, A., Frasson, C., & Nkambou, R. (2006). An ontology-based solution for knowledge management and elearning integration. Intelligent Tutoring Systems, 2006, 716-718 161 Integrated Approach for Automatic Aggregation Biographies
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adaptation criteria for the personalised delivery of learning materials: A multi-stage empirical investigation
Stefan Thalmann, University of Innsbruck School of Management Information Systems
Australasian Journal of Educational Technology Vol. 30, No. 1 (Apr 03, 2014)
Shouhong Wang, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, United States
Interdisciplinary Journal of E-Learning and Learning Objects Vol. 5, No. 1 (Jan 01, 2009) pp. 419–433
Yevgen Biletskiy, Michael Wojcenovic & Hamidreza Baghi, University of New Brunswick, Canada
Interdisciplinary Journal of E-Learning and Learning Objects Vol. 5, No. 1 (Jan 01, 2009) pp. 169–180
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact email@example.com.