E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Montréal, Quebec, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-98-3 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
In the past decade or so, the Internet has dramatically changed the face of education, as it is now a significant source of material for many students and teachers. However, there has been less development in the current virtual learning environments (VLEs) in the past few years, which remain heavily centered on single institutions. There is a clear need to integrate VLEs with the wider Web. In our research we propose to prototype a VLE that makes use of RDF (the Resource Description Framework) and the Semantic Content Management System (SCMS) Drupal to provide a more open learning environment. Essentially, we aim to use semantic web technology to develop and enhance VLEs by linking to social networks and supporting dynamic content composition for e-Learning services. The paper will introduce our work that we are currently prototyping to demonstrate the advantages of semantic web technologies for VLEs
Aldaej, A., Krause, P. & Strømmen-Bakhtiar, A. (2012). E-Learning evolution: Next Steps Semantic web and foundations of E-learning. In T. Bastiaens & G. Marks (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2012--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 1 (pp. 2012-2021). Montréal, Quebec, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 26, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/41899/.
© 2012 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Vanraaij, E., & Schepers, J. (2008). The acceptance and use of a virtual learning environment in China. Computers& Education, 50(3), 838-852. Doi:10.1016/J.compedu.2006.09.001.
- Piccoli, G., Ahmad, R., & Ives, B. (2001). WEB-BASED VIRTUAL LEARNING AND A RESEARCH FRAMEWORK ENVIRONMENTS(cid:3): A PRELIMINARY ASSESSMENT OF EFFECTIVENESS IN BASIC IT SKILLS TRAINING1. Management Information Systems. Online Learning History. 2011. Moodle home page. [online] Available from: < http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/Online_Learning_History#1960_-_PLATO> [Accessed Nov 18 2012].
- Abdul-Kader, H. (2008). E-Learning Systems in Virtual Environment. Information& Communications Technology, 2008. ICICT 2008. ITI 6th International Conference on (pp. 71– 76). IEEE.
- Schwartz, D.G. (2003). From Open IS Semantics to the Semantic Web: The Road Ahead. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 18 (3), 52-58.
- Sanjaya, R. (2009). Analyzing the Benefits of Using RDF on the eLearning Website. Charm72.com, (March), 1-3. Retrieved from http://www.charm72.com/Proceedings/pdf/02_40_Online_Ridwan Sanjaya.pdf.
- Nilsson, M. (2001). The semantic web: How RDF will change learning technology standards. WorldWide Web Internet And Web Information Systems. DBpedia website: http://dbpedia.org/About
- Dicheva, D., Sosnovsky, S., Gavrilova, T., & Brusilovsky, P. (2005). Ontological web portal for educational ontologies. International Workshop on Applications of Semantic Web technologies for ELearning (SW-EL).
- Cristea, A.I. (2004). What can the Semantic Web do for Adaptive Educational Hypermedia? Educational Technology& Society, 7 (4), 40-58.
- Bojars, U., & Breslin, J. (2008). Social Networks and Data Portability using Semantic Web technologies. 2nd Workshop on Social Aspects of the Web (SAW 2008), in conjunction with 11th International Conference on Business Information Systems (BIS 2008), (1), 5-19.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- E-learndraftpresentationpdf_2012Sep14.pdf (Access with Subscription)