School quality and the distribution of male earnings in Canada
Economics of Education Review Volume 22, Number 4, ISSN 0272-7757 Publisher: Elsevier Ltd
Using quantile regressions, this paper provides evidence that the relationship between school inputs and wages varies across points in the conditional wage distribution and educational attainment levels. Although smaller classes generally have a positive return for individuals at high quantiles, they have either no impact or a negative impact at low quantiles. Similarly, while more highly paid teachers benefit dropouts at high quantiles and graduates at low quantiles, they have a negative return for all other quantile-education groups. The results presented in this paper also suggest that the optimal school for high school graduates is likely smaller than for high school dropouts.
Bedard, K. (2003). School quality and the distribution of male earnings in Canada. Economics of Education Review, 22(4), 395-407. Elsevier Ltd. Retrieved March 26, 2023 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/206942/.
This record was imported from Economics of Education Review on March 1, 2019. Economics of Education Review is a publication of Elsevier.Full text is availabe on Science Direct: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7757(02)00071-7
ReferencesView References & Citations Map
- Akin, J., & Garfinkel, I. (1977). School expenditures and the economic returns to schooling . Journal of Human Resources, 12(4), pp. 460-481.
- Betts, J. (1995). Does school quality matter? Evidence from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth . Review of Economics and Statistics, 77(2), pp. 231-250.
- Brown, B., & Saks, D. (1975). The production and distribution of cognitive skills within schools . Journal of Political Economy, 83(3), pp. 571-593.
- Buchinsky, M. (1994). Changes in U.S. wage structure 1963-1987 . Econometrica, 62(2), pp. 405-458.
- Buchinsky, M. (1995). Quantile regression, Box-Cox transformation model, and the U.S. wage structure, 1963-1987 . Journal of Econometrics, 65(1), pp. 109-154.
- Card, D., & Krueger, A. (1992). Does school quality matter? Returns to education and the characteristics of public schools in the United States . Journal of Political Economy, 100(1), pp. 1-40.
- Eide, E., & Showalter, M.H. (1997). Factors affecting the transmission of earnings across generations: a quantile regression approach . Journal of Human Resources, 34(2), pp. 253-267.
- Eide, E., & Showalter, M.H. (1998). The effect of school quality on student performance: a quantile regression approach . Economics Letters, 58(3), pp. 345-350.
- Hanushek, E. (1986). The economics of schooling: production and efficiency in public schools . Journal of Economic Literature, 24(3), pp. 1141-1177.
- Heckman, J., Layne-Farrar, A., & Todd, P. (1996). Does measured school quality really matter? An examination of the earnings-quality relationship . Does money matter? The effect of school resources on student achievement and adult success, pp. 141-191. Washington DC: Brookings Institution.
- Johnson, G., & Stafford, F. (1973). Social returns to quantity and quality of schooling . Journal of Human Resources, 8(1), pp. 139-155.
- Koenker, R., & Bassett, G. (1978). Regression quantiles . Econometrica, 46(1), pp. 33-50.
- Krueger, A.B. (1999). Experimental estimates of education production functions . Quarterly Journal of Economics, 114(2), pp. 497-532.
- Krueger, A.B., & Whitmore, D.M. (2001). The effect of attending a small class in the early grades on college-test taking and middles school test results . Economic Journal, 111(1), pp. 1-28.
- Levin, H.M. (1993). The economics of education for at-risk students . Essays on the economics of education, pp. 11-33.
- Morgan, J., & Sirageldin, I. (1968). A note on the quality dimension in education . Journal of Political Economy, 76(5), pp. 1069-1077.
- Ribich, T., & Murphy, J. (1975). The economic returns to increased educational spending . Journal of Human Resources, 10(1), pp. 56-77.
- Rizzuto, R., & Wachtel, P. (1980). Further evidence on the returns to school quality . Journal of Human Resources, 15(2), pp. 240-254.
- Wachtel, P. (1976). The effect on earnings of school and college investment expenditures . Review of Economics and Statistics, 58(3), pp. 326-331.
- Welch, F. (1966). Measurement of the quality of schooling . American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, 56(2), pp. 379-392.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. Signed in users can suggest corrections to these mistakes.Suggest Corrections to References