Towards Serving the Data Warehousing/Business Intelligence Industry Better: Enrichment of a Postgraduate Course
Carin Venter, North-West University, South Africa
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Amsterdam, Netherlands Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This paper makes recommendations for enrichment of a postgraduate data warehousing/ business intelligence (DW/BI) course offered at a university. It aims to prepare students better for industry. DW/BI is an essential business skill—it improves decision making and competitiveness. Consequently, several organisations invest in DW/BI systems. Unfortunately these systems often fail. To improve upon high failure rates, the researcher identifies causes of failures, and ways to overcome them; she proposes that success rates be improved by educating students to proactively circumvent identified causes of failures when they become practitioners in the field. The study is guided by a critical systems thinking, reflective approach, i.e. critical social heuristics, to reflect on: sources of motivation, control, knowledge and legitimacy in terms of the actual versus ideal state. She explores shortcomings from the perspectives of: literature; alumni, currently employed in industry; and industry, as current/future employers of alumni and suppliers of DW/BI systems.
Venter, C. (2018). Towards Serving the Data Warehousing/Business Intelligence Industry Better: Enrichment of a Postgraduate Course. In T. Bastiaens, J. Van Braak, M. Brown, L. Cantoni, M. Castro, R. Christensen, G. Davidson-Shivers, K. DePryck, M. Ebner, M. Fominykh, C. Fulford, S. Hatzipanagos, G. Knezek, K. Kreijns, G. Marks, E. Sointu, E. Korsgaard Sorensen, J. Viteli, J. Voogt, P. Weber, E. Weippl & O. Zawacki-Richter (Eds.), Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (pp. 966-975). Amsterdam, Netherlands: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved February 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/184301/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Alvesson, M. And Willmott, H. (1992) 'On the idea of emancipation in management and organization studies', Academy of Management Review, 17(3), pp. 432-464.
- Avison, D. And Fitzgerald, G. (2006) Information systems development: methodologies, techniques& Tools. London: McGraw-Hill.
- Baskerville, R.L. (1999) 'Investigating information systems with action research', Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 2(19), pp. 1-32.
- Checkland, P. And Holwell, S. (1998) Information, systems, and information systems: making sense of the field. Chichester: Wiley.
- Clegg, B. And Shaw, D. (2008) 'Using process-oriented holonic (PrOH) modelling to increase understanding of information systems', Information Systems Journal, 18(5), pp. 447-477.
- Córdoba, J.-R. (2007) 'Developing Inclusion and Critical Reflection in Information Systems Planning', Organization, 14(6), pp. 909-927.
- Davey, B. And Parker, K.R. (2015) 'Requirements elicitation problems: a literature analysis', Issues in Informing Science& Information Technology, pp. 71.
- Dawson, L. And Van Belle, J.-P. (2013) 'Critical success factors for business intelligence in the South African financial services sector: original research', South African Journal of Information Management, (1), pp. 1.
- Delanty, G. (2011) 'Varieties of critique in sociological theory and their methodological implications for social research', Irish Journal of Sociology, 19(1), pp. 68-92.
- Dresner Advisory Services, L. (2012) Wisdom of the CrowdTM Business Intelligence Market Study R. Available at: www.yellowfinbi.com/Document.i4?DocumentId=159663 (Accessed: 15 May 2014).
- Ezell, B. And Crowther, K. (2007) 'Philosophical Issues and their Implications for the Systems Architect', Foundations of Science, 12(3), pp. 269-276.
- Flood, R.L. And Jackson, M.C. (1991) Creative Problem Solving: Total Systems Intervention. Chichester: Wiley.
- Gardner, S.R. (1998) 'Building the data warehouse', Communications of the ACM, 41(9), pp. 52-60.
- Gartner (2011) Business Intelligence Adoption Trends, 2011. Available at: http://my.gartner.com/portal/server.pt? Open=512&objID=256&mode=2&PageID=2350940&ref=WorkGroupWidgetContent&resId=1852916 (Accessed: 15 May 2013).
- Gartner (2013) Gartner Says Business Intelligence/Analytics is Top Area for CFO Technology Investment Through 2014. Available at: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2488616 (Accessed: 6 November 2013.
- Green, R., Mazzuchi, T. And Sarkani, S. (2010) 'Communication and quality in distributed agile development: An empirical case study', World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 61, pp. 322-328.
- Hwang, M.I. And Hongjiang, X. (2007) 'The Effect of Implementation Factors on Data Warehousing Success: An Exploratory Study', Journal of Information, Information Technology& Organizations, 2, pp. 1-14.
- Inmon, B. (2005) 'World-Class Business Intelligence', DM Review, 15(2), pp. 60-61.
- Inmon, B. (2006) 'DW 2.0', DM Review, 16(4), pp. 8-25.
- Inmon, W.H., Imhoff, C. And Sousa, R. (2001) Corporate information factory. New York: Wiley
- Jackson, M.C. (2001) 'Critical systems thinking and practice', European Journal of Operational Research, 128(2), pp. 233-244.
- Keating, C.B., Padilla, J.J. And Adams, K. (2008) 'System of systems engineering requirements: Challenges and guidelines', EMJ-Engineering Management Journal, 20(4), pp. 24-31.
- Kimball, R. (2008) The data warehouse lifecycle toolkit. Indianapolis: Wiley.
- Kimball, R. And Ross, M. (2010) The Kimball Group Reader: Relentlessly Practical Tools for Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence. Indianapolis: Wiley.
- Leffingwell, D. (1997) 'Understanding User Needs', Software Development, 5(8), pp. 51-55.
- Linstedt, D. (2002) Method and system of data warehousing and building business intelligence using a data storage model. [Online]. Available at: https://www.google.fm/patents/US20020161778.
- Linstedt, D. (2011) Super Charge Your Data Warehouse: Invaluable Data Modeling Rules to Implement Your Data Vault. Createspace.
- Mahalepa, T. (2016) Developing guidelines for business intelligence modules in information technology programmes at universities using critical systems heuristics. North-West University [Online] Available at: http://nwulib.nwu.ac.za/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx? Direct=true&db=cat01185a&AN=nwu.b2016683&site=eds-live (Accessed 12 November 2017).
- Maté, A., Trujillo, J. And Franch, X. (2014) 'Adding semantic modules to improve goal-oriented analysis of data warehouses using I-star', The Journal of Systems& Software, 88, pp. 102-111.
- Mingers, J. (1980) 'Towards an appropriate social theory for applied systems thinking: critical theory and soft systems methodology', Journal of Applied Systems Analysis, 7, pp. 41-50.
- Naur, P. And Randell, B. (eds.) (1969) Software Engineering: Report on a Conference, Garmisch, Germany. Brussels: Scientific Affairs Division, NATO.
- Newman, W.M. And Lamming, M.G. (1995) Interactive system design. Essex: Addison-Wesley.
- Popovič, A., Jaklič, J., Hackney, R. And Coelho, P.S. (2012) 'Towards business intelligence systems success: Effects of maturity and culture on analytical decision making', Decision Support Systems, 54(1), pp. 729-739.
- SAQA (2012) 'The South African Qualifications Authority: Level Descriptors for the South African National Qualifications Framework', SAQA. Available at: http://www.saqa.org.za/docs/misc/2012/level_descriptors.pdf (Accessed 1 March 2017).
- Sawyer, P., Sommerville, I. And Viller, S. (1997) 'Requirements process improvement through the phased introduction of good practice', Software Process: Improvement& Practice, 3(1), pp. 19-34.
- Trauth, E.M., Farwell, D.W. And Lee, D. (1993) 'The IS Expectation Gap: Industry Expectations versus Academic Preparation', MIS Quarterly, 17(3), pp. 293-307.
- Ulrich, W. (1983) Critical Heuristics of Social Planning. Bern: Haupt.
- Ulrich, W. (2003) 'Beyond methodology choice: Critical systems thinking as critically systemic discourse', Journal of the Operational Research Society, 54(4), pp. 325-342.
- Ulrich, W. (2005) A Brief Introduction to Critical Systems Heuristics (CSH). Available at: http://wulrich.com/downloads/ulrich_2005f.pdf (Accessed: 24 February 2014).
- Ulrich, W. (2013) 'Critical systems thinking', in Gass, S.I. & Fu, M.C. (eds.) Encyclopedia of operations research and management science: New York: Springer, pp. 314-326.
- Wixom, B., Ariyachandra, T., Douglas, D., Goul, M. And Gupta, B. (2014) 'The Current State of Business Intelligence in Academia: The Arrival of Big Data', Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 34, pp. 1-13.
- Yeoh, W. And Koronios, A. (2010) 'Critical success factors for business intelligence systems', Journal of Computer Information Systems, 50(3), pp. 23-32.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EdMedia2018_Carin_Venter_52407.pptx (Access with Subscription)