Assessing the Potential Toward Open Educational Practices in Kyrgyzstan ARTICLE
Open Praxis Volume 10, Number 2, ISSN 1369-9997 e-ISSN 1369-9997 Publisher: International Council for Open and Distance Education
The study was undertaken to understand the propensity for increased engagement with open educational practices (OEP), to include methods prioritizing student-centered teaching & learning, and awareness, use, and development of open educational resources (OER) among higher education faculty in Kyrgyzstan. The study employed a mixed-methods research design, combining qualitative and quantitative data obtained from 35 faculty, librarians, and administrators in institutions of higher education in Kyrgyzstan. This study aimed to identify current teaching practices and learning resource usage practices, gauge levels of knowledge regarding Kyrgyzstan\u2019s Copyright law, Creative Commons licenses, and Open Educational Resources, and investigate perceptions regarding potential roles for libraries in enabling others\u2019 learning regarding Copyright and Creative Commons, and open educational resources. Analysis of the results revealed a higher than expected gravitation toward student-centered pedagogy than previously assumed. The study also identified broad use of digital downloads as learning materials, conflation of open educational resources with free online resources, and positive perceptions of libraries\u2019 potential to instruct regarding Kyrgyz copyright, Creative Commons, and open educational resources, and needs for further professional development training for librarians.
Walz, A. & Bekbalaeva, J. (2018). Assessing the Potential Toward Open Educational Practices in Kyrgyzstan. Open Praxis, 10(2), 159-177. International Council for Open and Distance Education. Retrieved October 20, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/183581/.
- AUCA News (2017, May 12). Fulbright Specialist Anita Walz Visits AUCA. Retrieved from https://auca.kg/en/auca_news/3060/ Aesoph, L.M. (2018). Self-Publishing Guide. Victoria, BC: BCcampus. Retrieved from https://opentextbc.ca/selfpublishguide
- Baeten, M., Kyndt, E., Struyven, K., & Dochy, F. (2010) Using student-centred learning environments to stimulate deep approaches to learning: Factors encouraging or discouraging their effectiveness. Educational Research Review, 5(3), 243-260. Https://doi.org/10.1016/J.edurev.2010.06.001Butcher,N.(2011).Abasic guide to Open Educational Resources (OER). Vancouver, Canada: Commonwealth of Learning. Retrieved from http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0
- De la Sablonnière, R., Taylor, D.M., & Sadykova, N. (2009). Challenges of applying a studentcentered approach to learning in the context of education in Kyrgyzstan. International Journal of Educational Development, 29(6), 628-634. https://press.rebus.commun ity/makingopentextbookswithstudents/
- DeYoung, A.J. (2013). Redefining students and universities in the Kyrgyz Republic. In Akcali, P. & Engin-Demir, C. Politics, Identity, and Education in Central Asia. London: Routledge.
- Ehlers, U. (2011). Extending the territory: From open educational resources to open educational practices. Journal of Open, Flexible and Distance Learning, 15(2), 1-10. Retrieved from http://www.jofdl.nz/index.php/JOFDL/ar Ticle/view/64
- EIFL (2017, May 9). Kyrgyzstan Set to Accede to Mar rakesh Treaty. Retrieved from http://www.eifl.org/news/kyrgyzstan-set-accede-marrakesh-treaty
- European Commission (2012). Higher Education in Kyrgyzstan. [Country report]. Retrieved from http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/tempus/parTicipating_countries/overview/Kyrgyzstan.pdf
- Grasha, A. (1994). A Matter of Style: The Teacher as Expert, Formal Authority, Personal Model, Facilitator, and Delegator. College Teaching, 42(4), 142-149.
- Grigoryev, I. (2014). AnyLogic in Three Days: A Quick Course in Simulation Modeling. Retrieved from https://www.anylogic.com/resources/books/free-simulation-book-and-modeling-tutorials Hendricks, C. (2015, August 18). Non-disposable assignments in intro to philosophy. You’re the teacher [Blog post]. Retrieved from http://blogs.ubc.ca/chendricks/2015/08/18/non-disposableassignments-intro-philosophy
- Merrill, M.C. (2011). Kasha and quality in Kyrgyzstan: Donors, diversity, and dis-integration in higher education. European Education, 43(4), 5-25. Https://doi.org/10.2753/EUE1056-4934430401Morgan,T.(2016,December21). Open pedagogy and a very brief history of the concept. Explorations in the ed tech world [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://homonym.ca/uncategorized/openpedagogy-and-a-very-brief-history-of-the-concept
- Muhametjanova, G., & Cagiltay, K. (2016). Integrating Technology Into Instruction At A Public University In Kyrgyzstan: Barriers And Enablers. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 12(10), 2657-2670. http://oermap.org/policy/bishkek-resolution-on-oer-and-digital-education
- Open Education Consortium (2017) About The Open Education Consortium. Retrieved from http://www.oeconsortium.org/about-oec Open Textbook Network (2017). Open Textbook Network Launches The Publishing Cooperative. Retrieved from http://research.cehd.umn.edu/otn/open-textbook-network-launches-the-publishingcooperative-to-suppor
- Soros Kyrgyzstan Foundation News (2017). 19-21 Iulya v Naryne Prohodit Letniy Lager’ Otkrytyh Obrazovatelnyh Resursov (OOR). [Open Educational Resources Summer Camp to Be Conducted in Naryn, July 19-21]. Retrieved from http://soros.kg/archives/19381 State Service Intellectual Property and Innovation at the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic (2017). The Law of the Kyrgyz Republic “On Copyright and Related Rights”. Retrieved from http://
- UNESCO (2011). CIS on the Way to Open Educational Resources [in Russian]. Retrieved from http://ru.iite.unesco.org/pics/publications/ru/files/3214683.pdf V OshGU sostoyalas’ presentatsiay proyekta “Otkrytye Yel’skiye kursy” [Open Yale Courses Presented at Osh State University]. (2008, April 30). Retrieved from https://www.turmush.kg/ru/news:15428
- World Bank (2017). Project performance assessment report: Kyrgyz Republic-Rural Education Project. Washington, DC: World Bank. Retrieved from http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/ En/246341500307165325/Kyrgyz-Republic-rural-education-project
- Wiley, D. (2017, May 2). OER-enabled pedagogy. Iterating toward openness [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://opencontent.org/blog/archives/5009 WIPO (2017, May 15). Mar rakesh Notification No. 29. Retrieved from http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.