Assessment of Collaborative Learning for Students: Making the State of Discussion Visible for their Reflection by Text Mining of Electronic Forums
Toshio Mochizuki, Department of Cyber Society and Culture, The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Japan ; Satoru Fujitani, Faculty of Business Administration, Mejiro University, Japan ; Yuri Isshiki, Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Information Studies, The University of Tokyo, Japan ; Yuhei Yamauchi, Interfaculty Initiative in Information Studies, The University of Tokyo, Japan ; Hiroshi Kato, National Institute of Multimedia Education, Japan
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Phoenix, Arizona, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-50-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
This paper describes a proposal and an examination of a new method to assess communication among learners in the CSCL. The authors have developed the method to visualize discussions by focusing on the relationship between topic keywords and each learner using a correspondence analysis (Fujitani et al, 2003). In this paper, the authors examine the effectiveness of the method for students' self assessment, through an experimental study in a cross-cultural CSCL program. The proposed method represents a map between topic parts and students f commitment in the learning community, according to interviews with students. The map has the potential to help learners engage in active discussions by providing the reflection of their own interest or that of others.
Mochizuki, T., Fujitani, S., Isshiki, Y., Yamauchi, Y. & Kato, H. (2003). Assessment of Collaborative Learning for Students: Making the State of Discussion Visible for their Reflection by Text Mining of Electronic Forums. In A. Rossett (Ed.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2003--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 285-288). Phoenix, Arizona, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 26, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/14937/.
© 2003 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Fujitani, S., Mochizuki, T., Isshiki, Y., Yamauchi, Y., Kato, H. (2003). Development of Collaborative Learning Assessment Tool with Multivariate Analysis Applied to Electronic Discussion Forums. Proceedings of E-Learn 2003.
- Greenacre, M.J. (1984). Theory and Applications of Correspondence Analysis. London: Academic Press.
- Isshiki, Y. (2003). Case Study on International Distance Learning Program: Examining Cross-Cultural Differences among Singaporean and Japanese Graduate Students. Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2003, 3157-3158.
- Kato, H. (2001). Challenges in Evaluation of Collaborative Learning (In Japanese), Proceedings of 17th Annual Conference of Japanese Association of Educational Technology, 121-122.
- Li, H. And Yamanishi, K. (2001). Mining from Open Answers in Questionnaire Data. Proceedings of the 7th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 443-449.
- Shaklee, B.D., Barbour, N.E., Ambrose, R. And Hansford, S.J.(1997). Designing and Using Portfolio. Allyn and Bacon.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.